Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Christmas in July -- or -- Revenge of the Balsam


Something stabbed me in the foot this morning as I stumbled through the living room barefoot and in my boxers, holding a coffe-filled mug with the logo of my former employer. I lifted my hoof , and saw a reddish brown pine needle sticking half-way out of the arch. I stared at it for a moment thinking about how long it must have been hiding there in our cheap berber carpet. Then I plucked it out of my foot and flicked it in the garbage. It really was like a little Christmas in July. But more like the ghost of Christmas past.

Every year millions of Americans put up Christmas trees. And every year, most of those trees are either tossed to the curb. The ones that aren't picked up by city workers, are saved for a much more glorious but fiery death. Another sort of "Christmas in July." One where families light their old trees ablaze in summer bonfire, wrinkled popcorn strings and unwanted ornaments still hanging in the dry prickly branches. Christmas goes up in smoke and flames and people roast wieners on the hot coals.

Maybe, this little pine needle was some sort of survivor. Maybe it wanted revenge for taking away all his pine needle buddies, after an ornament of Snoopy with a wreath on his nose knocked the little guy from his home on Branch # 23, Twig #7. Maybe he'd been lying in wait for my bare-feet for months. Letting himself grow harder and sharper, until the last bit of piney scent was gone, and all that was left was hardened bitter needle bent on vengance!

But then again, maybe it was sent as a friendly but kind of painful reminder that we really SHOULD keep the spirit of Christmas with us all year round. Maybe it was sent by God to tell me that I need to count my blessings, spend time with my family, give generously and enjoy life -- just like we do every Christmas season.

Or maybe the needle left the tree on his own accord because he's a Jewish pine needle, and was sick of all the other needles and their Christmas bull-crap.

Whatever the case, it got me thinking about Christmas in July. I love the holidays, however you celebrate, and feel sorry for anyone who doesn't feel the same. So enjoy a memory from holidays from my childhood. Leave it to Sesame Street to help bring it home. Make sure you watch the end of this clip.



No comments:

Post a Comment